Today is President's Day! We know that the schools and banks are closed, and so are title/settlement agencies.
What to do with this wonderful day off? I mean, aside from enjoying a rare sunny day in February (in Indianapolis, at least)...
You're going to read up on your presidential trivia, that's what you're going to do! Fresh from the internet, I've scoured up some fun facts about our great nation's presidents compiled by the good folks at Legends of America.
For instance, did you know that...
- Gerald Ford once worked as a fashion model for Cosmopolitan and Look magazines in the 1940’s.
- John F. Kennedy was the only president to win a Pulitzer Prize, for his biography “Profiles in Courage”.
- Abraham Lincoln was the first president to wear a beard and the tallest president at 6’ 4″.
- Ronald Reagan was the first actor elected president. He acted in 53 films before becoming president.
- Andrew Johnson was impeached for removing Secretary of War Edwin Stanton during the turbulent Reconstruction Period but was acquitted by one vote in the Senate.
- The tradition of playing “Hail to the Chief” whenever a president appeared at a state function was started by John Tyler’s second wife.
- Lyndon B. Johnson rejected his official portrait painting, saying it was the ugliest thing he ever saw.
- William Henry Harrison was the first president to die in office, about 32 days after elected.
- Ronald Reagan was twice named Time magazine’s “Man of the Year.”
- Ulysses S. Grant smoked 20 cigars a day, which probably caused the throat cancer that resulted in his death.
- While Rutherford B. Hayes was still in the Union Army, Cincinnati Republicans ran him for the House of Representatives. He accepted the nomination, but would not campaign, explaining, “an officer fit for duty who at this crisis would abandon his post to electioneer… ought to be scalped.”
- John Quincy Adams was the son of the 2nd president, John Adams, who served from 1797-1801.
- John F. Kennedy was the only president to appoint his brother to a cabinet post.
Wishing you lots of fun today and read up--there will be a quiz tomorrow!*
With presidential-sized gratitude,
Real Estate Broker
United Real Estate Indianapolis
1425 East 82nd Street, Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN 46240
text/mobile: (317) 220-5397
Just want to see what's out there?